Monday, June 22, 2015

GRAIN AND MOSTLY DAIRY FREE

I have not eaten any grains for about a month now. On day four without eating grains I went through a withdrawal crisis at night--the thought of living without eating grains seemed impossible, and I craved popcorn. Thanks to listening to "Grain Brain" on Audible in the car, I resisted. After that, the cravings disappeared. I feel so much better now I don't want to go back to the way I felt eating grains.
Today I also eliminated almost all dairy products. Milk was giving me gas and bloating, which I realized after eliminating wheat caused my stomach to not be bloated, then drinking milk fired it back up to swallowed basketball status overnight. I did not drink much milk, but I would eat an entire large container of Greek yogurt, which while most of the lactose was predigested, I found out that dairy products tend to cause a large release of insulin, beyond what there sugar content would suggest. I want to be smaller, so I don't need to drink stuff designed to make a baby cow.

So I started about a month ago at 300 pounds. Fasting morning sugars in the 160-210 range. I've not seen a 90 blood sugar yet. I went from insulin resistant to pre-diabetic to finally diabetic. My doctor gave me three more months before he wants to put me on medication. Both my parents had adult on-set diabetes. I don't want to have to take insulin.

I am determined to lower my carbohydrates and lose weight and exercise more and see what happens. I hope that my pancreas can heal itself and get my blood sugars in the normal range. I have read lots of success stories, and I want to be one of them, and then I can help others who want to change their diet and life.

THE YES LIST
Beef, chicken, fish, pork, shrimp, etc. Grass Fed when I can find it.
Eggs.
Some hard cheeses--very low lactose and very low insulin response.
Coconut oil, olive oil, grass-fed butter, heavy cream.
Non-starchy vegetables.
Berries.
Nuts and seeds.
Quest protein powders.

THE NO LIST
No grains or grain products--no chips, cookies, muffins, bagels, bread, rolls, pastries, pizza, popcorn.
No milk, cottage cheese, or yogurt,
No sweeteners--artificial or natural.
No fruits except berries.

I have my physical on August 27, 2015. I will see what this diet has accomplished and will share the results.


No comments: